Welcome to the new format for the ITS Minnesota UPDATE newsletter. The Communications Committee has been working hard to switch over to the new format. Thank you to Tom Jensen and Dan Nelson for their efforts!
The new ITS Minnesota Board will be announced at the March 14, 2012 ITS Minnesota Annual Meeting and I would like to thank the Board as well as each of our ITS Minnesota members for your support and the experience as your 2011-2012 ITS Minnesota President. It was a busy year with a very energetic, driven Board as indicated in the following highlights:
- ITS partnered with Minnesota Guidestar and exhibited at the National Association of County Engineers (NACE) Conference held in Minneapolis in April 2011. The exhibit showcased Minnesota County ITS projects and educated attendees on the efforts of ITS Minnesota and Minnesota Guidestar.
- Two educational seminars were held in 2011. In May attendees boarded a Metro Transit bus to learn about the ‘State of the Art’ system used to manage over 800 buses at the Metro Transit Control Center. In December the Education Committee facilitated a half day seminar on Arterial Management Techniques and Theory.
- ITS Minnesota held their Annual Meeting in March and the Fall Forum in October. The Fall Forum allowed vendors to share company information and a variety of relevant ITS topics were presented during the Annual Meeting.
- ITS Minnesota welcomed Sensys Networks, Optelecom NKF, Inc., Parsons Brinckerhoff and WSB & Associates as new members.
- ITS Minnesota joined forces with the Minnesota Guidestar Board of Directors to create a committee on Marketing and Outreach, whose focus is to promote benefits and successes of ITS in Minnesota. The committee created an ITS Marketing Communications Plan to identify audiences, create key messages, prioritize outreach activities, and estimate resources needed to conduct activities. The plan was completed in June 2011 and the committee is moving forward with implementation activities.
- ITS Minnesota was selected during the 2011 National Rural ITS Conference to host the 2013 National Rural ITS Conference in St. Cloud, Minnesota.
- ITS Minnesota Board Members were asked to participate in providing content and on camera interviews for a Future Careers in ITS Video developed by the ITS Institute at the University of Minnesota’s Center for Transportation Studies.
- ITS Minnesota partnered with Minnesota Guidestar and the University of Minnesota ITS Institute to exhibit at the combined ITS World Congress and Annual Meeting & Exposition in Orlando, Florida in October 2011. The exhibit highlighted the 13 ITS Minnesota members that sponsored the booth and showcased ITS in Minnesota. ITS Minnesota was recognized during the awards ceremony as runner-up for Outstanding State Chapter.
- ITS Minnesota partnered with the North Central Institute of Transportation Engineers (NCITE) and the Women’s Transportation Society (WTS) to co-sponsor a joint luncheon program in June that included a panel of speakers presenting on social media and the relationship to transportation. The event facilitated networking and information sharing among Minnesota’s ITS professionals and the broader transportation engineering community.
- ITS Minnesota sponsored an ITS in Minnesota Legislative Lunch and Tour. This event was held in partnership with Minnesota Guidestar. Minnesota Legislators and Staff were invited to attend a presentation of ITS efforts in Minnesota as well as tour the MnDOT Regional Transportation Management Center.
- ITS Minnesota maintained a strong connection to ITS America. MnDOT Commissioner Tom Sorel serves on the ITS America Board of Directors, and Durga Panda is ITS Minnesota’s representative on the State Chapters Council.
- ITS Minnesota enhanced our chapter’s management and communications functions by beginning the steps to implement electronic services such as web-based membership renewal and e-newsletter.
I have enjoyed serving ITS Minnesota as president and I look forward to continuing to support the mission and focus of ITS Minnesota in the future.